Even though the United States Postal Service is reporting a significant decline in the volume of mail we all know from the contents in our mailboxes that we still seem to get plenty. It’s clear that direct mail marketing budgets have been slashed in many cases, but of course as some companies pull back from sending mail others see that as an opportunity to send more. We decided to research which profit and non-profit organizations are currently sending the most mail.
Top 10 For-Profit Mailers
56% of all the top 50 mailers in the U.S. are for-profit organizations. Several of these are large publishing companies that are sending publications, renewal notices, and other offers to the public.
- -Publishers Clearing House – This household name in the sweepstakes industry makes over $620 million dollars a year through publishing and distributing millions of magazines and other publications. They are the overall largets user of direct mail in the U.S.
- -The Economist Group – With revenues north of $516 million this is another publishing giant. They publish under the brands of The Economist newspaper, The Economist online, Edonomist Intelligence Unit, and a few more.
- -Conde Naste – You may not be familiar with this massive publisher with revenues of $454 million per year. They own some of the most subscribed to magazines in the World (GQ, Vogue, The New Yorker, etc.).
- -Direct Brands – Like Conde Naste, you may say Direct Brands, Inc. who? Well they have revenues of $402 million per year with services you will recognize (Columbia House, Book-of-the-Month Club, etc.).
- -Consumers Union – This company has revenues in excess of $249 million per year on sending direct mail, you may be more familiar with Consumer Reports.
- -Omaha Steaks – With revenues of $200 million per year this company has made a bundle off of selling mail order mouth watering meats. Now that’s mail with some sizzle to it!
- -Rodale – Has revenues of approximately $136 million per year and publishes magazines like Men’s Health, Runner’s World, and Prevention.
- -Hachette Filipacchi Media – Another massive magazine publisher with revenues reported at $123 million from magazines like ELLE, Woman’s Day, Car and Driver, Road & Track, and more).
- -International Masters Publishers – This publisher is well known for Recipes & Cooking, Wildlife & Nature, Home & Leisure, and similar categories of publications. They have annual revenues of $230 million.
- -Boardroom – This is another publisher for a list that is most well-known for their Bottom Line newsletters in the subject areas of Personal, Health, Retirement, Natural Healing, and Wealth. Their revenues could not be reliably collected.
Top 10 Non-Profit Mailers
44% of all the top 50 mailers in the U.S. are non-profit ogranizations that are either soliciting for donations or attempting to collect on pledges via mailers.
- -Smithsonian Institute – They generate donations/revenue of $532 million per year.
- -U.S. Fund for UNICEF – They generate donations/revenue of $454 million per year.
- -Habitat for Humanity – They generate donations/revenue of $356 million per year.
- -The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society – They generate donations/revenue of $269 million per year.
- -March of Dimes – They generate donations/revenue of $248 million per year.
- -World Wildlife fund – They generate donations/revenue of $180 million per year.
- -Paralyzed Veterens of America – They generate donations/revenue of $109 million per year.
- -Humane Society of the U.S. – They generate donations/revenue of $102 million per year.
- -Alzheimers Association – They generate donations/revenue of $95 million per year.
- -National Wildlife Federation – They generate donations/revenue of $83 million per year.
It’s always interesting to see who is using the mail more frequently as a means of communicating with the American public. The biggest surprise is that in this list of the 20 top mailers, that are no banks or credit card companies. Judging by the mail I get every day, that’s a surprise.
shared by our friends at changeofaddress.org
We would love to share with you an article that we just posted on our own blog! “Top 20 U.S. Direct Mail Marketer” (http://www.changeofaddress.org/blog/2010/top-20-us-direct-mail-marketers/) would be an interesting story for your readers to check out and discuss on your blog, so we hope you will consider sharing it!
Thanks so much for your time, and have a wonderful day!